Monday, December 29, 2008

Playing On My Pod

Last year, I attempted a Top Ten Music List, but it ended up being a Top 17, plus honourable mentions. For some reason, I decided to do one again this year, but I'm seriously limiting it to ten. They're all very different albums, ranging from punk to euro-pop to indie rock. Again, in no particular order:

"Vampire Weekend" by Vampire Weekend
"Stay Positive" by The Hold Steady
"The Rhumb Line" by Ra Ra Riot
"Acid Tongue" by Jenny Lewis
"Brain Thrust Mastery" by We Are Scientists
"Volume One" by She & Him
"Santogold" by Santogold
"Robyn" by Robyn
"Get Awkward" by Be Your Own Pet
"The Odd Couple" by Gnarls Barkley

Sorry, Madonna and Britney, but you're noticeably absent. I've come to expect certain things from you ladies, and if I can't shake my ass through the whole thing, then you're not making my list. Due to low expectations, I didn't even pick up the latest from Weezer or Coldplay.
Older albums I got into were "Rabbit Fur Coat" by Jenny Lewis (with the Watson Twins), "Oracular Spectacular" by MGMT, "Made of Bricks" by Kate Nash, and basically the entire Pixies back catalogue. I also continued my love for Arcade Fire and Broken Social Scene.
Some of the year's great singles included "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You" by Black Kids, "Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon, and Beyonce's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)"
Also, there are some promising albums in my iTunes cart such as "Fleet Foxes" by Fleet Foxes, "For Emma, Forever Ago" by Bon Iver, and "London Zoo" by The Bug. Plus, 2009 promises to be a good music year with new releases from Franz Ferdinand, Courtney Love, Missy Elliott, No Doubt, and (fingers crossed) Blur. Perhaps I'll write about them this time next year.

No comments: