Monday, December 31, 2007

Best Albums of 2007

I love reading "Best of..." lists, but I don't usually make any of my own. Pete says he makes a "Best Albums" list every year, so I decided to give it a try. I couldn't narrow it down to 10, so I just included all the ones I really liked. Here they are, in no particular order:

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
I shouldn't like this album. It's derivative, predictable, melodramatic, and, at times, even boring. But I can't stop listening to it. I liked their first album okay, but not enough to buy this one. Then I saw them put on one of the most magical shows I've ever seen. I still think they're a little pretentious, but this album is nothing short of spectacular.

Bjork - Volta
This is probably her funkiest album to date, which is saying something. Even with tracks produced by Timbaland, it took me a few listens to get into this one. This is a more accessible Bjork, but she's still just as weird as ever.

Britney Spears - Blackout
Come on. Admit it. You sing along, too. This album sounds like Britney put in about 30 minutes of studio time and left the producers to do the rest. Lucky for her, she's got enough money to hire the best, making this the best electro-pop album of the year.

Eisley - Combinations
This was, in many ways, a repeat of "Room Noises," with melancholy tunes about heartbreak and loss. But they also threw in some left-field tracks about gossip and aliens (like, the outter-space kind). Plus, "Taking Control" was probably one of the most singable songs I've heard in a while.

Feist - The Reminder
I really wish she hadn't done that iPod commercial, but I can't deny that this album (along with her last album) is like sugar. So sweet and addictive.

Once - Soundtrack
If you haven't seen this movie yet, do so now. It's simple and tender without being sappy. And the whole thing is brought together beautifully by the music within. You can tell Glen Hansard has lived the lives of the characters in his songs, and Marketa Irglova provides a wonderful muse.

Kanye West - Graduation
Not as good as his first two albums, but nonetheless, the best hip-hop album of 2007. Sure, he has a huge ego, but he's got the talent to back it up.

Les Savy Fav - Let's Stay Friends
Stellar, melodic indie rock from NYC. This is their first album in six years. The riff in "Patty Lee" is alone worth the price of the whole album.

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
The lyrics are dark, but the music is so danceable. It's a phenomenal punk-funk album that hints at the political and tragic.

Peter Bjorn & John - Writer's Block
There's nothing better than indie-pop, except when it's indie-pop from Sweden.

PJ Harvey - White Chalk
The word most used to describe this record is "haunting," and I couldn't agree more. You know when the first lines of a song are "The ceiling is moving," you're in for a trippy treat. Usually, PJ belts out big songs with huge choruses, but this time she went for a more minimalist, piano-driven, soft approach. It compliments her very well.

The White Stripes - Icky Thump
They got experimental with their arrangements and instrumentation, but there's no denying the characterisics that make this a White Stripes album. Meg pounds away on the drums (with tons of cybals) while Jack's guitar screams and his voice strains into some amazing blues-rock.

Tegan and Sara - The Con
Not as poppy as "So Jealous" and maybe even darker; but their voices coincide so well, and accentuate the power of their songs. The title track is especially wonderful.

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
This album actually came out last December, but this really has been her year, despite all the personal problems. Her voice is amazing, and the songs are well produced. They have a cool retro feel, while still looking forward.

The Hives - The Black and White Album
Swedish garage rock that shouldn't be as fun as it is. This is their third album, and their most experimental.

Radiohead - In Rainbows
It's a pretty big deal when Radiohead releases anything. They could probably poo in a bucket, mix it with some vomit, throw it on some staff paper, play the resulting notes, and still achieve a masterpiece. That's how good they are. With this record, they've relaxed somewhat, and didn't go as far left with their experimentation. Many Radiohead songs can seem cold or angry, but this album is full of deep emotion, at times even romantic. It suits them well.

Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank
I know I said these are in no particular order, but if I had to pick the single greatest album of the year, this would be it. To be honest, I don't know what makes a good album. But I listened to this one far more than any other this year, and even gone hoarse singing along with it. It's one for the ages. At once, dark and hopeful, strange and catchy. Isaac Brock is one of the most talented songwriter/lyricists working today, and I can't imagine how empty my iPod would be without any of MMs albums.

Best Posthumous Album:
Elliott Smith - New Moon

Potential Best Albums:
(These are ones I've recently bought, and haven't had the chance to dig into yet. But they sure look promising.)
Against Me! - New Wave
M.I.A. - Kala
Rilo Kiley - Under the Blacklight
The Go! Team - Proof of Youth
Burial - Untrue
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool

Disappointments:
(Albums I had high hopes for, but just didn't turn out very well.)
The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
Bloc Party - Weekend in the City
Interpol - Our Love To Admire

It seems almost dishonest to put out a personal Best Albums list, as I'm sure there are tons of records out there that would totally blow me away that I just haven't heard (yet). I'd love to do a Best Movies list, as well, but so many great films don't get released around here, or not until next year. Still, if you tend to have the same musical tastes as me, you should enjoy any of these albums. And if you know of any you think I'd appreciate, please let me know.

No comments: