Thursday, August 31, 2006

Makes us want to stay awhile


Tara, Me, & Theresa
Originally uploaded by currtdawg.
Some bands know a guy who knows a guy. Some bands get a lucky break. And then there are bands that tour constantly, build up a solid fan-base, and get a record deal based on how great they are live. The Dave Matthews Band fall into that third category. They came though SLC last night, and Tara, Theresa, and I went.
The opening band was Robert Randolph and the Family Band. They played an hour long set of feel-good, spiritual funk and soul. It was nice to listen to, and a great choice for Dave's opening act.


Dave Matthews Band
Originally uploaded by currtdawg.
Just as the sun was setting, Dave and his crew came out on stage, opening with the rousing "Pantala Naga Pampa." I'd never seen DMB before, and it was cool to see the fusion of this band that played together so wonderfully. I can totally see how they've done so well for themselves. They played for over two hours, many songs lasting well past the ten-minute mark, but I guess that's what being a jam band is all about. I don't have every album they've ever released, and some of the songs weren't really familiar to me, but they were good about mixing their singles in with more obscure material. But even the unfamiliar stuff was great to listen to. Tara, Theresa, and I had a great time just dancing around on our blanket in the grass.
For the final song of the encore, they played "Stay (Wasting Time)" which is one of my favourites, and a great song to end the evening. Since this was the last show I'll see before I deploy, I wanted to take it all in as much as I could. And I did.

1 comment:

nicolesy said...

You are always getting the best concerts out there! You'd think that bands would want to come to Hawaii, but I guess it's just too expensive for them to travel out here. We are getting U2 & Pearl Jam in December ... but I can't go cause it's the night before the marathon I'm running in and I'm gonna need my sleep!