Thursday, August 10, 2006

Bring da Ruckus

Some may find it odd that I would go to a Wu-Tang Clan show, but I was pretty excited about it. They're one of the most influential groups of 90s hip-hop, and I was as surprised as anyone to see them come through SLC Tuesday night.
The Wu and I go way back. All the way back to January of 1997, when I was in basic training. There was a guy in my flight who was obsessed with them, and he kinda got me hooked. Now, whenever one of their tracks pops up on my iPod, I can't help but think of basic training and everything I was going through at the time.
The Wu-Tang Clan, made up of the RZA, Method Man, Ghostface Killah, Raekwon, the GZA/Genius, U-God, Inspectah Deck, Masta Killa, and the late Ol' Dirty Bastard, was a hip-hop supergroup of sorts, but they approached the concept from a different angle. After releasing a collaborative album, the object was to break off and release individual albums; thereby overtaking the record industry and making as much money as possible. And it worked.

Wu-Tang Clan
Originally uploaded by currtdawg.
The show was probably one of the craziest shows I've ever seen. The crowd was full of white-boy poseurs (of which, admittedly, I am one), but they were insatiable. For the opener, each MC came out one-by-one, spitting a verse, until they were all on stage. And the crowd grew more and more boisterous with each one. The smell of something strong was in the air as we all jumped up and down and waved our hands from side to side. Unfortunately, Ol' Dirty Bastard, who died of a drug overdose in 2004, was sorely missed. He was, by far, the most unpredictable and bizarre member, and most of the rhymes I know from their first two albums were his. Luckily, the other members picked up the slack, and the show was energetic, fun, and raucous.

2 comments:

Homie said...

Unless you're one of those white guys that wears FUBU (For Us By Us)and have your pants down below your bottom, then your just a white kid that likes good hip-hop.

Mike C said...

I'm so white I didn't even know what FUBU stood for...