Thursday, August 17, 2006

Standing in line to see the show tonight...

Few bands have as colourful history as the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Starting out in Los Angeles in 1983, the band has withstood line-up changes, drug addiction, and the death of founding guitarist Hillel Slovak. It wasn't until 1989's "Mother's Milk," when original members Anthony Kiedis and Michael Balzary (aka Flea) connected with John Frusciante and Chad Smith, that the RHCPs honed their constantly evolving form of funked-up, rapped-down, punk rock.
I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan, but I will say this: the first time I ever heard "Under the Bridge" was the night I graduated high school, and ever since, it's held a special place in my heart. I can't believe it's taken me this long to see them live, but last night, they came through SLC. John, Ryan, and I went and had a great time.
The opening act was The Mars Volta. When we arrived, they were half way through their set, but it was impressive nonetheless. They're kind of a psychedelic, post-hardcore Led Zepplin. They were energetic and eclectic, and I couldn't stop staring at their backdrops.

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Originally uploaded by currtdawg.
When it was time for the Chili Peppers, the first two to emerge on stage were Flea and John, who began a little jam session, soon to be joined by Chad. But as soon as Anthony came out, the stage lit up and they launched into "Can't Stop." The energy was infectious as they rambled through their set, alternating older songs with material from their new double-album, "Stadium Arcadium." Each band member was brilliant. The crowd seemed to react best to John's lead guitar, but I couldn't keep my eyes off Flea. His slap-bass style is amazing. But I think the best part of the whole show is how flawlessly these four play together. Except for a few years in the 90s when Dave Navarro briefly stepped in for John, they've been together for 17 years, and the chemistry between them all is undeniable. The whole world could have been exploding, and they would have kept on without notice.
Highlights included "Otherside" (a personal favourite), "Scar Tissue," and "By the Way." My only disappointment is that they didn't play anything pre-BloodSugarSexMagic and they didn't play "Under the Bridge." Otherwise, it was a great show from beginning to end. It's easy to see why they've been a mainstay in modern rock for so long.

No comments: