Sunday, December 25, 2005

Random Christmas Thoughts

I don't really know what to write today. I wanted to write about peace, and had a few paragraphs, but everything sounded cheesy and cliche, so I decided to start over.

I just got off the phone with my parents. I think they're more upset about my absence than I am.

Why are they showing "Ghostbusters II" on Comedy Central? I guess TBS already has the rights to show "A Christmas Story" all day. But couldn't they at least show "Christmas Vacation"?

Sometimes it was with my family, sometimes with coworkers in a tent, and sometimes in a house in Japan with my best friends, but until this year, I've never woken up on Christmas alone. I'm not upset, though. It's just further proof that it's more about the love of family and friends than the time of year. Plus, I'm spending this afternoon with the Wendt clan, which promises to be full of love and fun and laughter and probably too much eggnog.

My favourite Christmas Carol has to be "O Come O Come Emmanuel." There's, like, eight verses, so it's a little long to write here, but you should look it up. Not only is it about the anticipation of the Baby Jesus, but, I think, as Christians, it also works as a prayer of expectation for the return of Jesus.

When I was little and my Mom got me my first piano music book of Christmas Carols, I was playing through them and misread the lyrics to "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentleman." I thought it said, "...to save us all from Santa's power..." For years, I wondered why we needed saving from Santa.

Anyway, as for peace, I just want to say one thing: Peace is for Everyone.

Merry Christmas
-cws

No comments: