Monday, January 26, 2009

For My Peeps At The IRS

For a lot of people, tax season is a dreaded time of year, but I'm kinda the opposite. As soon as my W-2 is available, I fill out my forms. Every year the government takes out too much, and every year I get a healthy return. Even if I didn't get anything back, it wouldn't bother me to pay taxes. Maybe I'm just naive, but I have faith in our government that my money is going where it should be going, even if I'm not a fan of everything it's supporting. Potholes and public schools--great. Pointless wars and corporate bailouts--not so much.
This year, I took somewhat of a risk when itemising my deductions. I'm still a little bitter about the whole truck shipment fiasco, so when I got to the part about moving expenses, I claimed it. It's something I was authorised and for which I was not reimbursed; plus, I have all forms and receipts, so I don't really see a problem with it. The way it worked out, I'm still not getting back the entire amount, but a little restitution is better than none at all. I'll just be crossing my fingers for the next couple years that I don't get audited.

No comments: