Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Cheesecake That Devoured Tokyo

Danielle heads back to Baja on Wednesday, so I asked her what kind of cheesecake she'd like me to make before she leaves. "Coffee," she replied. I found a few recipes and basically just decided to combine the parts of each one that I liked best. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
I started yesterday morning. Instead of giving it just a slight coffee essence, I wanted it to have a really evident coffee flavour. I made the coffee really strong and added an extra portion of Kahlua. But then, when I tasted the batter, it was too strong, so I had to add some sugar and creme to tone it down. Then it was too weak, so I added more coffee and Kahlua. This went back and forth for a while until I had a full bowl of cheesecake batter. Thus, the cheesecake had a baby.
I was a little nervous when, as it baked, my house began to smell like burnt coffee. But last night, I took the baby cheesecake over to Johnny and Jenny's place, and they said it was pretty good.
The final vote will be on Tuesday when I take daddy cheesecake to Cheyenne's place. I'd hate for Danielle to go back to Mexico with a bad taste in her mouth.

No comments: