Friday, January 02, 2009

Improving International Relations

Through the glorious wonders of Facebook, I've managed to build friendships with a few Italians in the area. They get to practice their English; I get to practice my Italian; it's a win-win situation. One such friend is Davide, who used to live in nearby Udine, but has recently moved to Gorizia, which is a little further away so we don't get to hang out as often.
Davide has friends all over the world, and Jimmy, a friend of his from Nashville, is visiting for a few weeks. So last night, Davide, Jimmy, Roberto, and I went out for drinks and dinner. The conversation shifted between Italian and English all night, and I had a hard time keeping up. It was really sad that Jimmy's Italian was better than mine. I learned a lot of Italian slang, and I'm still baffled that one of the euphemisms for "vagina" translates to "potato."

No comments: