Saturday, January 24, 2009

Preventing A Potential International Incident

Joann has been in Italy for a few years now, and she's just about had her fill of it. She thinks everything is too inconvenient, and doesn't like the Italians, especially the women. There have been a few times over the past few weeks that I almost had to step in to keep her from getting in shouting matches with Italian ladies in various offices around base. It's almost comical.
I guess I haven't been soured on the Italians yet. I'll agree that they're a very arrogant people, but they also have a lot to be proud of. I find most Italians to be fun-loving and gracious, especially if you're willing to meet them half-way on the language barrier. The old man at the filling station near my house smiles when he sees me and always compliments me when my pronunciation is correct.
Maybe after a few years, I'll have the same attitude as Joann, but I doubt it. There's so much to learn about this country and it's people, and I'm worried I won't be able to experience it all. You can bet I'm going to try, though.

No comments: