Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Who are the people in your neighbourhood? The people that you meet each day!


Via Agostino Stefani
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
I woke up this morning to a bright sun and singing birds. I opened up all my windows and decided to take a stroll to the middle of Budoia. It's only about a block away from my house, so it took all of five minutes to walk there. I live on Via Capitan Maso, which runs into Via Agostino Stefani (possible relation to Gwen?). All the streets are pretty narrow and the Italians drive like maniacs, so it's a little daunting to walk anywhere. Luckily, there wasn't much traffic.


Via Roma
Originally uploaded by currtdawg



Budoia
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
In the middle of nearly every town in Italy, there's a church. From my house, I can hear the bells ring several times each day. Many of the churches date back several hundred years. The door was open, but I didn't go inside.


Cappuccino
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
In the center of town, where Via Agostino Stefani, Via Roma, and Via Umberto meet is the piazza (public square). There's not much to it--only a few small shops and a cafe, called Bar Ristorante Da Rene', where I stopped for a cappuccino. It was only 1.20 Euro (about $1.80), but it sure was tasty.


Cafe
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
There were about ten older men also there, chatting in small groups. I think I was the only one who didn't have some kind of alcohol. It was only 10 AM, but they were all drinking wine or had a shot of booze in their coffee. Damn, I love this country.


Budoia
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
After I left the cafe, I walked around a little more, smiling and saying "Buon Giorno" to anyone who made eye contact. They all returned my greeting with a smile or a nod. I hope to spend many mornings here, getting to know these people personally. This is why I came here.

No comments: