Sunday, April 27, 2008

City of Vivaldi and Casanova


Rachel
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
Yesterday afternoon, I finally made the trip to Venice. It was a gorgeous day, so Rachel, Shaun, Nate, and I hopped a train from Sacile south to Venezia. This is Rachel buying her train ticket.


Nate & Rachel
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
It was only a 45 minute train ride, but we passed the time experimenting with our cameras.


Rachel & Nate
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
I guess Shaun and I didn't provide adequate conversation, so Rachel and Nate watched "The Office" on Nate's iPod.


Venezia
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
The train station is right in the middle of the city, and when I first walked outside, I was overwhelmed. It was such a beautiful city, just like you see in books and movies.


Venezia
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
The architecture was amazing. It's hard to believe these buildings have stood for hundreds of years.


Venezia Canal
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
The streets are extremely narrow, and the city is laid out like a big maze, so there's no set way to get anywhere. You just walk in the general direction and eventually you'll get where you want to go.


Venezia
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
We walked through alleyways, over bridges, and through stores. We stopped for a very tasty limon gelato, and made our way through the crowded streets as best we could.


Venezia Canal
Originally uploaded by currtdawg



Grand Canal from Rialto Bridge
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
This is the Grand Canal. We walked over the Rialto Bridge, but it was so crowded it was difficult to get a good picture. It seems the Italians drive their boats like they drive their cars--crazy!


Venezia Canal
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
I thought it was so cool how the water goes right up to the front steps of many buildings.


Piazza San Marco
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
We eventually made it to Piazza San Marco, which was really gorgeous. There were pigeons everywhere, along with street vendors and musicians.


St. Mark's Basilica
Originally uploaded by currtdawg



Shaun
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
But after walking around for three hours, we were pretty tired and hungry, so we decided to head back home. I took tons more pictures, which you can check out here. I can't believe I've been here for two months, and I just now made it to Venice. Now that I know my way around a little, I plan on going back on a weekday when the crowds aren't as bad. It might be fun to get lost on purpose, just to find those cool little shops and cafes that most people don't see. Then, when you come visit, I'll be able to take you, too.

No comments: