Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Lot On My Plate

It's been a particularly stressful week, and I'm ready for it to be over. I'm finally able to move into my house, but I haven't yet because I'm not too keen on sleeping on a hardwood floor. I tried to buy a mattress, but they don't have any in stock, and the wait is two to four months. If I don't move in tomorrow, I definitely will on Monday. My biggest worry here is whether or not my housing allowance will start appearing in my account by the first of the month.
I'm enjoying work, but it's definitely a challenge. I've been working the early shift this week, but still staying late. Italian utilities are manufactured and installed very different from anything I've ever seen before, and there's lots to learn. Finding parts is next to impossible. I've had a few jobs this week which were really frustrating, and I left feeling so upset I just wanted to come home and lay in bed.
I've heard tons of conflicting reports about internet service in my area. Most people say DSL isn't available, and I'd rather not pay tons of money to get a phone line if all I'm going to be using it for is dial-up internet. I talked to a lady yesterday about getting a card for my computer which allows me to surf via cell phone towers. It's faster than dial-up, slower than DSL, and cheaper than either. The kicker is that my time online is limited. Decisions, decisions.
My truck should be in sometime next week, but the company that shipped it is waiting on their payment. The military is supposed to pay it, but they obviously haven't yet. I went to finance today to find out what was up and the guy who worked there was clueless. I might end up having to pay for it myself, and then (hopefully) get reimbursed by the Air Force. We'll see how that goes.
Shaun has asked me to be a chaperone for his service project next month. It's late notice, but he's pretty desperate for some male counsellors. Basically, we'd be hanging out in the Czech Republic for a week on a mission-trip-ish outting, and making sure the high schoolers don't get into trouble. It sounds fun, and I'm allowed permissive TDY (meaning I won't get charged leave), but I'm not so sure I want to ask for time off work after just getting here.
And right now, there's is practically no gas in the car I'm driving. Gas is insanely expensive in Italy (about nine bucks a gallon), but as NATO forces, we're allowed gas coupons allowing us to fill up for much less. But to get the coupons, I need a vehicle registered in my name, which I don't have yet. So, I've been bumming gas coupons, and I'm starting to feel bad about it. I'm thinking about going out and just paying $30 for a quarter tank to last me the next few days.
So, yeah, I just needed to vent a little bit there. Thanks for reading.

No comments: