Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Having My Say

Yesterday, I sent off my Federal Absentee Ballot Application. Kentucky's primary isn't until May 20th, but that really doesn't affect me since I'm registered as a Republican. (Sorry. I was young and didn't know any better.) I've made inquiries into changing my affiliation to "independent," but it's harder than you'd think. Regardless, I'll still be voting in the general election in November.
I've heard tons of reasons why people don't vote.
--It doesn't really make a difference.
--My state will always be Democrat (or Republican) and mine isn't going to counteract everyone else's.
--I don't like any of the candidates.
--I don't want to throw away my vote on a third party candidate.
--It's too much trouble to register.
And to all these reasons, I cry "bullshit!" I get excited about voting. I really feel like I'm taking an active part in democracy, and though I rarely vote the way the majority of my fellow Kentuckians do, at least I raised my voice. My parents have always been active participants in elections, so it's almost like I'm carrying on a tradition of sorts. And if I don't vote, I don't really have any cause for complaining if whichever elected official doesn't meet my expectations.
Presidential elections only happen every four years, so don't let it pass by. I mean, if they close the bars for it, it must be pretty important, right?

No comments: