Monday, March 24, 2008

Just A-Swingin'

Italy has their fair share of national holidays, and today is one of them. It's basically just an extra day off to celebrate Easter. The base gave us a down day today, but I had to work anyway. Luckily, though, I wasn't at the shop all day. It was just doing rounds at 9 AM, 3 PM, and one more tonight at 9. The rounds consist of checking the wells, lift stations, and taking water samples, which only takes an hour or two. We have a rotating schedule at work, so last week, I worked the early shift (6 AM to 3 PM). This week, I'm working swings (1 PM to 9-ish). Swing shift includes stand-by, hence doing rounds today. I'll work the weekend, too, but I'll have next Monday and Tuesday off for compensation.
Since I don't have to go in until the afternoon tomorrow, I'm going to use my time in the morning to run some overdue errands, such as filing my temporary lodging allowance claim, getting my overseas housing allowance set up, and (finally) moving out of billeting into my house. I got a call Friday from the Traffic Management Office saying my unaccompanied baggage has arrived, so I need to set up a time for that to be delivered, as well. This shipment is just some clothes, dishes, and a few other basic necessities; but it will make living in my house much easier. It also includes my snowboard, which I have missed sorely and will be sleeping with. Naked.

No comments: