Friday, June 08, 2007

The Good, The Bad, and The Queen

I'm indifferent when it comes to Oprah Winfrey. She's not really annoying or stupid, and she does a lot of good for the less fortunate. What bothers me is how much people worship her, and how anything she says is considered law. And not just a state or federal law. BIBLICAL LAW. Like she needs a book in the Old Testament right between Leviticus and Numbers telling us "Thou shalt not have poop that doesn't make an 'S' shape," and "Thou shalt sing along with all musical guests whether you know the words or not."
But one of the good things is the book club. I think it's great that she's gotten a bunch of lazy housewives to pick up a book and read, which they'd never do otherwise. I used to be reluctant to read books she'd recommended, but I decided that's just being snobbish. And she's picked out some great ones, most recently Cormac McCarthy's The Road and my personal favourite, Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (both of which I read before Oprah told anyone to).
In a mildly related story, a few days ago, my friend Reese told me about something she saw on television that I just HAD to find on the internet. Unfortunately, the only place I've found it is in this Jimmy Kimmel monologue. The best part, which features Oprah, is about five minutes in, so just let it load and then fast-forward to that part (unless you're some kind of masochist who likes to hear Jimmy Kimmel talk). After you see it, you'll know what I'm talking about. Probably the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

No comments: