Monday, July 04, 2005

Home of the Brave

It kind of angers me when people say things like, "If you can't say anything nice about this country, then you're welcome to leave." Why would I want to do that? I am so blessed to have been born in America. I'm not going to get into our socio-economic status, technological advances, or the thousands of laziness-inducing conveniences. But I will say one of the reasons our country is so great is that we are free to criticise the laws that sometimes seem ridiculous, or the leadership that, more often than not, seems dimwitted and inept, or even my fellow countrymen who frequently seem ignorant and close-minded.
With that in mind, I'm going to talk a little bit about patriotism. Here is an example of what patriotism is NOT: when I'm driving down the road and I see the words "Support Our Troops" written on the sign at the local Arby's. Thanks for the tip, Arby's. Question: who DOESN'T support our troops? I mean (aside from terrorists) who, in this country, actually wishes harm to our men and women over there in the desert? Why is it assumed that just because someone doesn't support the war, then they automatically don't support the troops? That's just ridiculous. And Arby's (or Wendy's or Jiffy Lube or the guy on TV advertising a weight loss system) is totally capitalising on people's patriotism and emotion. "Aw, look, Ethel. The 7-11 supports our troops. Let's pay $2.31 for gas there instead of somewhere else."
Here's an example of what patriotism IS: having a cook-out with your friends and family on this, the 229th birthday of our nation, thinking about those that have sacrificed everything to give us the ability to be free, and knowing that this country and the whole world are in God's hands.

P.S. Sorry if I got off on a tangent there. I think I'm just bitter because fireworks are illegal in the fascist state of Utah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

illegal here too but the cities put on great shows