Sunday, May 29, 2005

Summer Lovin'

Well, it's Memorial Day weekend, and you know what that means - Summer Is Here! And what better way to improve those long, hot days and super-fun nights than by complimenting it with the proper soundtrack, right? So, I've taken it upon myself to go through my entire music collection (which is a lot) and pick out the best albums and songs for you, the reader, to which to listen. Though I can't say for sure each of you will appreciate each tune as much as I have, I can attest to the fact each song has had its place in enhancing my own summer pleasure.

Albums:

"Natural Ingredients" by Luscious Jackson
This album is what I imagine it would sound like in New York City in July. It's full of dance funk and great for cruising around town with the windows down.

"Weezer (The Green Album)" by Weezer
This album reminds me of my first summer in Japan. In particular, a certain camping trip to Kazakienchi that Evan Burd would probably prefer everyone forget, but I sure had a blast. Most die hard Weezer fans aren't big on this album, but it's undeniably some of their best light-hearted pop music. The melodies are simple and memorable and you just can't keep from singing along.

"Dig Me Out" by Sleater-Kinney
I fell in love with this album during my first summer in Vegas. I had just bought it after reading tons of great reviews. I love girlie-punk and now S-K is one of my favourite bands ever. "Dig Me Out' is such a masterpiece and even now, when I hear it, I still get nostalgic for driving my Camry down the Strip in 115 degree heat.

"Celebrity Skin" by Hole
This was the album Courtney made after she left Seattle behind and became a big movie star, and the whole thing just sounds like California. You can't hear "Malibu" or "Boys On The Radio" and not feel as though your walking along the beach in Santa Monica.

"World Clique" by Deee-Lite
People think of these guys as one-hit-wonders, but this album was way ahead of its time. Another great dance album perfect for a beach party.

"Who Is Jill Scott?" by Jill Scott
Just a great, mellow, smooth R&B album that's all about love. Great for watching a sunset with your baby.

"Simpatico" by Velocity Girl
Quite possibly the most perfect alt-pop album ever created.

"Parklife" by Blur
I wonderful Brit-pop album. It was released in the summer of '94, but I didn't really get into Blur until the summer of '99. This record is full of great tunes and makes me imagine how cool it would be to spend a few months trekking around London.

"...And Out Come The Wolves" by Rancid
The first true punk band I ever really appreciated. I was totally addicted to this album during the summer of '95.

"Californication" by The Red Hot Chili Peppers
Nothing says "summer" like California, where it's summer all year long. This album was the Peppers' ode to their home state.

"Melody A.M." by Royksopp
A smooth electronic album that's ideal for mellowing out after a crazy night.

"Good Humour" by Saint Etienne
A simple, yet addictive, happy Euro-pop album. Sarah Cracknell's voice is so light and it just floats over these wonderful pop tunes.


Songs:

"Vacation" by the Go-Gos
"Pure Shores" by All Saints
Anything by Al Green (you gotta love the Reverend's smooth grooves)
Anything by the B-52s (super fun retro surf dance rock)
"Do Something" by Macy Gray
"Raspberry Beret" by Prince
Anything by Sublime
"California Love" by 2-Pac & Dr. Dre
Anything by the Beach Boys (the original surf rockers)
"Mickey" by Toni Basil (arguably the best 80s song ever, I used to hear this at the skating rink when I was in elementary school)
"Holiday" by Madonna (you didn't think I was going to make a music list and leave off Madonna, did you?)

I'm sure there's tons I've left out, but for those who are looking for something new and different to listen to during picnics, road trips, hikes, trips to the pool, etc., especially something to make this a summer to remember, this should get you started.

No comments: