Monday, May 09, 2005

Chutes and Ladders

After the Killers show Monday night, Lana and I went to this cool coffee house downtown to get ourselves a little caffiene for the drive home. Next to the door, there was a big shelf full of independent newspapers and flyers. I picked up a little postcard for a Church in SLC called The Rock Church. So, I decided to go last night. I walked in and the first room had couches, a pool table, a coffee bar, and even a big rock wall to climb. I was by myself, so I just kinda walked around purposefully looking like I didn't know anyone in the hopes someone would introduce themselves to me and show me around. This guy named Paul came up to me, gave me the basics, and showed me to the sanctuary. When the service started, a band came out and played some praise and worship tunes REALLY LOUD. I really love P&W, so I was glad it went on for a long time. The message was part of a series about finding God in the movies. Last night's movie was "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King." I'm not a big LOTR fan, but I really appreciated the spiritual truths brought out by the speaker. In the program, there was a big list of all kinds of ministry opportunities, including volunteer events and small group Bible studies. I'm hoping to find an intimate core group to really help me in my spiritual growth, which sounds like a cliche, but I'm kind of in a social drought right now, and I'm getting desperate for some good Christian companionship. I really miss the Hospitality House crew, and I think going to this Church is a step in the right direction to filling that void. Keep me in your prayers.

No comments: