Saturday, May 14, 2005

I think I can...

Work continues to fatigue me. I've heard the resident physicians on the Today Show, ABC Nightly News, Oprah, etc. talk about good stress and bad stress. My stress right now is keeping me pretty motivated, so I guess that would fall into the "good" category. But it's bordering on the bad kind. You know, the kind where I'm about to get medieval on someone's ass if they don't shut up about an overdue work order while I'm simultaneously trying to write a BTZ package, track down a missing civilian, and compose slides for a staff meeting.
As I mentioned, I stayed at work until 7 PM yesterday. There was an emergency job regarding a water leak at the child development center (why don't they just call it day care?), and everyone was really freaking out over it. Normally, jobs like that don't bother me too bad, but it just seemed like everything was piling up yesterday. I'm seriously considering downing a fifth of Jack Daniels and driving through the south gate in order to get demoted to senior airman so I can enjoy the carefree days of fixing sinks and digging trenches once again.
Luckily, my bosses all sympathise with me. They understand my shop is drastically overworked and undermanned. They understand we'd be a lot closer to completing overdue jobs if we didn't have a stupid readiness day every Friday (and soon to be every Thursday, as well). They understand I have a couple "special" troops in my shop that don't quite have the work ethic required of them. They understand the entire shop was in total disarray and it just happened to be dropped in my lap.
Despite all this, I still find myself getting up in the morning and looking forward to each day. I guess I like the challenge or something. I'm not really happy with the military overall, but apparently something keeps me going. I pray it keeps me going until someone else can take over this mess.

No comments: