Saturday, March 05, 2005

Unsuccessfully avoiding title referring to Lynrd Skynrd song or Reese Witherspoon movie

I'm currently in Alabama for Brad's wedding. I've spent the past two days meeting tons of new people. Pretty much everyone is from Alabama...except me. They all have that "Southern Hospitality" thing going on, which is great; but you can also tell very few of them have ever left the area. For instance, we had the rehearsal last night, followed by dinner...at a barbecue restaurant. A plate was set before me, so I quietly ate my bread and potato salad, avoiding the chicken, and tried my best to keep a low profile. But this is how it went down:

Waitress: You want a to-go box for that, sugar?
Currt-Dawg: No, thank you.
W: Was there somethin' wrong?
CD: No, it was fine.
W: Did it taste bad?
CD: No, ma'am.
W: And you don't want a to-go box?
CD: No, ma'am.
W: Are you sure?
CD: Yes, ma'am.
W: But, aren't you hungry?
CD: No, ma'am, I'm fine.
W: Are you sure?
CD: Yes, ma'am.
W: Is there anything else I can get you, honey?
CD: No, thank you.
W: Well, why not?
CD: Um, well, I don't eat meat.
W: [blink] [blink]

Yeah, the South is definitely a very special slice of Americana.
Anyway, the wedding takes place at 4:00 this afternoon, but we have to be at the Church for pictures at noon. For those of you who failed 2nd grade math, that's 4 HOURS EARLY! Oh, well. This is Brad and Kristy's wedding. I'm the best man, so I'm gonna do whatever I have to do to make things go smoothly. And if that means standing there for hours and hours smiling until my cheeks hurt, then I'll do it.

1 comment:

MandyGirl said...

Hi! Randomly found your blog via the "next blog" thingy and was curious about your visit to Alabama. What part of Alabama? I spent a week there after Christmas, and I looked out of place the entire time.

Hope the wedding went well! :-)