Saturday, March 12, 2005

Take this job and shove it.

The Hill Air Force Base newspaper, "The Hilltop Times," has a feature each week where a writer goes around to random people on base and asks them a question such as, "What would you like to see at the base theatre?" or "If you could cross train to any job in the Air Force, what would it be?" This week's question was, "What on base annoys you the most?" and I was one of the lucky people who happened to cross the path of a writer in search of answers to this question. The only answer I could think of was that I wished the gym was open 24/7 because I like to work out before I go into work, but the gym isn't open early enough. She took my picture and went on her way. I'd kind of forgotten about it, until my shop chief called me into his office today and lectured me on how it doesn't reflect well on me, the shop, or the squadron when one of our own has complaints printed in the newspaper, and I should think twice when confronted with such a question. He also informed me that due to Hill's high ops tempo, a 24 hour gym was simply not feasible. I nodded and blinked and quietly left his office when he was done talking. Here's what I should have said:
"That's bullshit. First of all, she asked what annoyed me. She didn't ask why I thought the base was all lollipops and rainbows. Second, did you see some of the other comments? Mine was a mere suggestion. One guy complained about the noise of the planes...on an Air Force base! Plus, this girl was from Public Affairs. Everything they print goes through the base commander, and if she doesn't have a problem with it, why should anyone else? And finally, saying a 24 hour gym isn't reasonable is ridiculous. Misawa had just as high an ops tempo as Hill, and their gym was always open. People around here just don't have any time management skills."
In other work news, I went to Krispy Kreme last night after the movie and bought a dozen glazed and a dozen assorted specifically to take to the shop this morning. I didn't have any reason. I just thought it would be a good way to show my co-workers what a cool guy I am. So I walk in this morning with the two boxes of donuts and set them on the counter in the break room. Here are the comments I heard:
"Man, what are you trying to do - make us all fat?"
"What? You didn't get any blueberry filled?"
"Krispy Kreme donuts are too sweet. Dunkin' Donuts are so much better."
Here's what I should have said:
"Fuck all ya'll. Nobody's forcing you to eat these donuts. I just thought I would do something nice out of the kindness of my heart. I guess that will teach me."
Where did I learn to keep my big mouth shut, and why do I always obey that instinct? I may never know. I seriously need to grow a pair.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just get them again and put a note on the box that says to all the ungreatful bastards I work with lol.. ah curtis. love ya man..it's funny reading your stuff at times