Thursday, March 31, 2005

I need a bigger hat.

It's strange how God can show you things you'd never be able to see on your own, especially when they're about you. Case in point: I was picking up groceries last night, and as I was waiting at the checkout, I could hear the conversation of the people in the next isle. They were obviously Mormon, as they were talking about temple and how one of them just got back from his mission to Wales and other Mormony things. All I could think was, "These people are so pathetic. I can't believe they really think they're doing the Lord's work. Wake up!"
When I was walking out to my car, I was overcome by this overwhelming sense of shame. How could I be so smug? God doesn't love these people any less than He loves me. I know we should do our best to love everyone and spread His word, but a holier-than-thou attitude is the last route we should take. Pride has a way of sneaking up on you. It does the most damage, and it hurts the worst.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

even though mormonism creeps me out, what you say is true, God loves us all equally. I find myself crossing the line into holier than thouness. Hey Abby, how about thouness? That totally sounds like a word...