Sunday, March 20, 2005

Love and War and Peace (...but mostly Love)

It's been two years since we invaded Iraq. At the time, I was deployed to Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar, which was basically the main command center from where the war was directed. I've made no secret of my opposition to this war or my lack of faith in the leadership of our country. I've been challenged by several people concerning my points of view, so I figured I would just lay it all out here.
I guess my main point is that we are to follow the example of Jesus. Jesus was God incarnate, and was sent to the Earth, not only as a sacrifice, but also to serve as an example of a perfect life. Sure, there are tons of examples of a vengeful God of war in the Old Testament, but when Christ came, all that changed. "Blessed are the peacemakers," He said in the Sermon on the Mount. He instructed further on the evils of murder, hatred, and revenge. In the Garden, He told Peter, "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Even when being persecuted, tortured, and murdered, Jesus did nothing but ask the Father to forgive them. Later in the New Testament, Peter and Paul both speak on repaying evil with good.
I know there are many that will say indifference to evil is even worse, but I don't think that applies in this case. There are too many countries in far worse shape than Iraq ever was. Genocides abound in Sudan, The Ivory Coast, India, and several other coutries. Unfortunately for them, their chief export isn't oil. I also understand that less than two months ago, Iraq held its first elections in decades, and I'm not saying that's not a good thing. But in this case, the ends don't justify the means. I've never met George Bush, and I don't pretend to know his heart, but if he got us into this war for personal gains, many of which he is enjoying in his second term, I seriously doubt God will bless him for that, even if God chooses to bless the Iraqi people. And I'm just assuming that imposing democracy on Iraq is blessing them. There's also the possibility that Iraq doesn't really want to be a democratic state. We just think it would be best for them because that's how we do things here in America and hey - it sure seems to be working out okay for us. Don't get me wrong. America is a great country. Why else would hundreds of thousands of people immigrate here each year? But when you have as much power and money as we do, there's bound to be tons of problems that come with it.
Anyway, I feel like I'm digressing into different territory, so I'm going to bring this to an end. I'm not a very intelligent guy, and I don't know much about politics, and even less about the mysteries of God. I just hope we can look back on all this in twenty years or so and learn from it. Whether the end result is good or bad, I'm just praying we won't make the same mistakes twice. I'm sure some will find holes in my reasoning (it's late and I'm tired and after I read this tomorrow morning, I may have to add a few things to clarify), and you're more than welcome to post your thoughts. But please don't be a spineless piece of shit and post anonymously. If you really want, you can grow a pair and e-mail me directly.
One final thought: Jesus was perfect love. I, personally, can't picture Jesus charging into any kind of battle for any reason, especially pre-emptively. I know God has a plan for the world, and I look forward to seeing how things are going to turn out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey that's what I said, "Grow a pair and put your name with your comment." Anyway, I think you are way off in your reasoning. You are completely wrong, it's just a matter of time before God judges you for what you have written on here.
Love,
Trish

Anonymous said...

"grow a pair" - this means have enough courage to put your name on your comments. If you think your opinion is important enough to post on Curtis' blog, then give him the courtesy of letting him know who you are.
Trish