Saturday, March 26, 2005

A Little Deeper, Part 5: Abortion

This is the post that's going to redeem me to all the extremely fundamental, right-wingers (what my friend Mike refers to as "Shiite Baptists"). Abortion has been legal since 1973, and in my opinion, this is a travesty. I have two main problems with abortion. The first, and most obvious, is the loss of an innocent life. Some might say, "It's not like the fetus is actually alive." Saying life doesn't begin until birth is ignorant and naive. Others might say, "Well, the child would have been better off not being born anyway." But you won't even give it a chance? And what about adoption? And still others say, "If she can't get it legally, then the woman will just get one illegally, which can be extremely unsafe." This is beside the point. Does that mean we should legalize heroin so less people will die from overdoses?
The second major problem I have is that it just seems so irresponsible. "Yeah, so I got knocked up. No big deal. I'll just head down to the clinic tomorrow and take care of it. And then, on the way home, I'll pick up those new blue satin pumps I've had my eye on." I realize most women probably aren't this cavalier about getting an abortion. But if they're experiencing such severe hesitation, then maybe they shouldn't consider such an irreversible course of action.
I guess the biggest argument pro-choice-ers use when debating Christians is that Jesus doesn't say anything directly about abortion. However, what He does say is that we should love our neighbour as ourselves. And, I would think a woman's unborn baby would rank a little higher than her neighbour.
From a legislative point of view, it can be argued that the people who pass laws and sit on courts are primarily male, and therefore should have no say in what a woman does with her body. But these people are elected officials, and are there to represent all people, male and female.
The bottom line is that abortion is taking the life of a child. A child that won't have a chance to laugh. A child that won't ever grow old with the person he or she loves. A child that can't ever be brought back to life.

So anyway, this concludes "A Little Deeper." I realize not everyone agreed with all or maybe any of my points of view. Please understand it wasn't my intention to anger or offend anyone. This was a glimpse into my brain and how I've come to develop certain perspectives. I just hope we can all agree to disagree. Thanks for your time.

No comments: