Monday, November 19, 2007

That Dang Good Stuff (Ba Ba Ba Ba!)

When I first heard "Love Shack" in 1989, I had no idea how long The B-52s had been around. It became even more obvious while I was waiting in line for their show last night. I'm usually older than most of the crowd at concerts, but last night, I was on the younger side. Felt kinda nice.
The B-52s are arguably America's best active party band. Their groovy, new wave sound is so infectious, it's nearly impossible to keep from smiling and dancing. Tickets for the show went on sale back in June, and I picked mine up immediately. It's a good thing, too, because it sold out pretty quickly.

The B-52s
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
This is only the second concert I've seen where the headliner was ballsy enough to not have an opening act. (The first was Madonna.) They came on stage in full space-cadet persona, wearing far out clothes and doing strange dances. And from the first beat, the crowd didn't stop moving. They played all their classics, and gave us a taste of "Funplex," their new album due in February. I don't know how they did it, but each song seemed to be more energetic than the one before it. They concluded the night with an extended version of "Rock Lobster," and I left smiling and feeling very satisfied.

No comments: