Sunday, November 11, 2007

Stockholm Syndrome

When I moved to Utah from Japan, I didn't have a lot of furniture or money, so I ordered some bedroom furniture from Ikea. It looks good, and it's inexpensive. Coincidentally, this past May, an Ikea store opened in Draper, about 40 miles south of here.
I've heard that most houses in Italy don't have closets, so yesterday, after the haircut debacle, Nick and I went down to Ikea to grab a few things. I purchased a couple dressers identical to the ones I already have, just so all my bedroom furniture matches. And even though I also acquired a couple bookshelves, I ended up spending less than I thought I would. I'm not going to assemble anything, so it's all still boxed up and sitting in the spare bedroom. I won't need it until I get to Italy, so why bother putting it together now?
By the way, have you ever been in an actual Ikea store? It's like a big maze, and you have to follow the arrows around for two hours if you have any desire to see the light of day ever again. And everything is so dazzling, it's easy to get caught up and start grabbing cool lamps and colourful chairs. I'm so proud of myself for resisting all the shiny objects.

1 comment:

Mike C said...

Someone actually asked me the other day, if I had to stay in a store overnight, which one would it be? My answer: IKEA! They have beds, sheets, and beer (at least in Europe.)

And cheap hotdogs.