Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Novocaine for the Soul

I just got back from a dental appointment. About a month ago, I put a piece of gum in my mouth, and when it got crunchy, I knew something was wrong. A piece of my tooth had broken off, so I went in the next day and they put a temporary filling in it. Today, they did the permanent one.
A lot of people hate going to the dentist, but it never really bothered me too much. I think the sound of the drill is more painful than the feeling of it hitting my tooth. Once I get over that, I just close my eyes and relax and sometimes have to keep myself from falling asleep.
However, there is one drawback: numbness. I hate leaving the dentist with no feeling in my lower jaw. And I don't understand why my lip and tongue feel about three feet thick. (I guess it's a good thing I don't have a date tonight.) I wish the anesthesia would wear off as soon as the dentist is finished. Basically, that's the only thing that really keeps me flossing every night.
By the way, I still have the hunk of tooth that broke off in the cup holder in my truck.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

nooooooo! me and dentists don't mix. i think they are evil. childhood torture at church hill dental surgery gave me my fear. you, sir, are brave. and don't show your tooth on a date. it would make any girl squeal. or maybe guys like that. ;)

Sal Casley said...

Ah yeah, while it's just normal to feel a bit anxious about it, going to the dentist should be just fine. Besides, after all that drilling and cleaning, you'll step out of the office cavity-free. You just have to bear with the numbness, but other than that, it's all good.