Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Balance Beam

I think I've fully acclimated to working the night shift. I wake up around 6 PM each evening, go to work around 9-ish, get off around 10 AM the next morning, and get to bed around 11. I don't even get drowsy in the middle of the night anymore, which is nice. I'll have to switch back to day shift at the end of the week, but I seriously doubt it will be as difficult as switching to nights.
As I've mentioned, I'm working in the armory, so, along with guarding the weapons all night long, we also have to hand out the weapons to all the exercise players on their way out to the play area and receive the weapons after their shift is over. When people come through the processing area, they're wearing their chem suit and all their field gear, and they're getting ready to spend up to 12 hours putting up with a lot of crap. Meanwhile, I'm passing the time playing cards, reading magazines, and watching DVDs. Because of this, I feel kinda guilty, and I never know how to react when people come to get their weapons. If I'm really cheery, it just makes them extra jealous. If I act bummed out, they're all, "What do YOU have to be upset about?" And it's really difficult for me to talk with no emotion whatsoever. Kind of a strange situation.
As far as the whole armory thing goes, it's a good job to have, and I'm definitely lucky. But, as I've also mentioned, I don't really like guns, and sitting in the armory surrounded by about 150 M-16s and 15 9mms just makes me nervous. Just think happy thoughts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice site, thought you might like to see our site.

Anonymous said...

I like working at night too Curtis. :) It's too bad they don't have anything less ominous to guard...maybe the dining facility...:) -- Caleb