Thursday, October 27, 2005

Dark Night, Sleep Tight

A few months ago, my friend Jay told me about a band called Eisley. People try to get me hooked on bands all the time, and I'm usually unimpressed. This time, however, I got hooked. They performed Monday night as an opening act for Switchfoot, and I went to the show.
First of all, let me just tell you about the venue. It was at a place called the Great Salt Air in Magna, about 45 minutes southwest of here. It's an old pavilion located right on the Great Salt Lake. It's neat place, but the location is not so great. For those of you who have never been to this area, the Great Salt Lake smells bad. Really bad. That's all I have to say about that.
The first opener was a band called Reeve Oliver. Yeah, it's a clever name and they sounded good and had lots of energy, but I thought their music was rather typical.

Eisley
Originally uploaded by currtdawg.
Then Eisley came out. Eisley is made up of three sisters, their brother, and their cousin. It's hard not to compare them to Sixpence None the Richer, but I think Eisley is a little more melancholy, and somehow sweeter and more appealing. Plus, there's just something undeniably sexy about girls who can play the guitar. They had a great stage presence, some of the most entrancing harmonies I've ever heard, and I hope to see them again as a headliner.


Switchfoot
Originally uploaded by currtdawg.
I have to be honest when I say that if Eisley weren't opening, I probably wouldn't have gone to see Switchfoot. However, I thought they put on a pretty good show. There wasn't anything really extraordinary about it, but they sounded good, and the whole set was quite enjoyable. I'd have to say the highlight was when they sang a cover of Bob Dylan's "The Times, They Are A-Changin'." I could even be persuaded to see them again, next time they're in SLC.

1 comment:

Trish said...

I could kick myself OVER and OVER and OVER again for missing your call from the Gwen concert. DANG IT!!! So bummed...
Trish