Saturday, July 31, 2010

Tickling the Ivories

I've had my piano for two weeks now, and so far, I seem to be concentrating mostly on two pieces: J.S. Bach's Invention No. 13, and Arabesque by Debussy. They were both pieces I played in college and they came back to me pretty quickly. Now I'm just working on getting the details down. I've also been messing around with a Mozart sonata, a short Schumann Reverie, and, very cautiously, Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag. I'm trying to get works from all the different eras. The strange thing is, years ago I hated the more technical pieces and loved the romantic ones I could mess around with more. But now, I find myself favouring the more rigid ones. It's probably a good thing, as those are the ones better suited to practice.
Again, I know I won't get them as polished as they were back in the day, but I'm doing my best. Once I get them down pretty good, I'd like to try some new ones I've never played before. I still have tons of music I've never played, so the possibilities are endless. Any suggestions?

No comments: