Friday, July 16, 2010

Back Into The Swing

Honestly, I was kinda dreading going back to work. Not necessarily the work part or even the getting-up-early part. Just the adjusting-to-all-the-changes part. And boy, have there been changes, with even more changes in store over the next few months.
But it really wasn't that bad. In fact, it was pretty good. Wednesday was a little weird, but Thursday was spectacular. I was productive and energetic. I know not every day is going to be like that, but it's still a good sign. Today, we had a shop cookout and everyone seemed really glad to have us back.
Still, there are things that need improvement. The lazy ones are still lazy, and the workers are still working. Some programs have fallen by the wayside, mostly due to lack of manning. When I see things I don't like, my first instinct is to fix it; but I realise I might be stepping on someone's toes, so I ask around before acting.
Another adjustment I'm feeling is all the extra off-duty time. I've been working such long hours for the past six months that I'm not used to getting home from work and still having all this free time before bed. Yeah, it's a good problem to have, but it will take some getting used to.
I know it will take another couple weeks before I'm totally reintegrated back at work, and that's fine. I just don't want to become a work-zombie, getting up and doing the same thing every day, like in the desert. There's really no such thing as a solid routine at home station, which is a good thing. Routine makes time go by faster, and I want to cherish every moment I have here in Italy.

No comments: