Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Return of the Rentals

We have a new guy in our shop, Isaac, who was stationed with me in Japan. I've been taking him around this week helping him get in-processed and finding him a house. Today, we had some appointments with various landlords in the area with vacant rentals. The first one we saw was at an apartment just off base, and when we arrived, we were greeted by a very old, very frail looking man. He was very friendly, and spoke only Italian. I'm not fluent, but I got most of what he had to say. He showed us around the house, and didn't stop talking the whole time. He told us he was 90 years old and that he fought in World War II, greeting the Americans as they liberated parts of northern Italy. Unfortunately, the house wasn't very well kept, and Isaac and his family were ready to move on to the next one. As we were walking back out to my truck, the old man grabbed my arm and begged me to get them to take the house. He kept saying how poor he was and that if they took the house, he'd give me a few hundred Euros as a bonus. My heart just broke for this poor guy. I wished I could help him somehow, but I can't make the call on what house Isaac chooses. It was an awkward situation, and part of me is tempted to go over to that house, clean it up, and hope someone will eventually rent it. I still don't know what to think about it.

No comments: