Sunday, July 18, 2010

88 Keys

I've fallen a bit out of practice on the piano, something I used to have such a passion for. It's mostly due to lack of availability, as there are few pianos around here, and the ones that are here aren't easily accessible.
When I was in the desert, I started doing a little research on digital pianos. I know they're not as good as the real thing, but for someone with a small house who moves around a lot, it's ideal. Mostly, I just wanted something to practice on and bring my fingers back to their 1994-era dexterity.
After tons of online research, I decided the best model for me and my budget was the Yamaha Arius YDP140. And when I got back home, the first thing I did was order one on Amazon. (Is there anything they DON'T have?) Unfortunately, a few days after ordering it, I got an e-mail from Amazon stating they couldn't deliver it, as it was heavier than the USPS could ship to an APO box. So I sat, brokenhearted, lusting after a piano I couldn't get.
That was, until Thursday afternoon when Rick and I were walking through the B/X, and I happened to see, for sale in the electronics section, a Yamaha Arius YDP140. I actually did a double take, then a triple take when I saw the price was only $749 (compared to $899 at Amazon).
I picked it up yesterday morning, and it's sitting comfortably in my guest bedroom. I've already dug up all my old music, complete with scribbles from Rita Roth and Diane K. Earle. I'm really looking forward to practicing as a means to relax in the evenings and on weekends. Without proper lessons, I don't expect to play as well as I did in 1994, but it's something that's a part of me, and it's been missing for far too long. See Mom and Dad? All that money you spent on my college education isn't totally going to waste!

No comments: