Saturday, February 07, 2009

When tin cans and a string just won't work

Back in the late 90s, when cell phones were first becoming popular, I was adamantly against them. I thought it was rude to talk on them in public, and swore I'd never be seen with one. I'd gotten by without one for so long, why bother? Things changed a bit when I got to Japan, where cell phones were easier and cheaper than land lines. Plus, I wasn't too keen on getting lost or stranded in the Japanese countryside with no way to contact anyone who didn't speak a foreign language. Since then, I haven't even bothered with getting a land line.
About a month ago, my phone started acting funny. I was getting a lot of audio feedback and the people to whom I was talking could barely hear me. Since then, things have gotten even worse. Last week, half the buttons stopped working, and last night, the display started cutting out. It's been five days since I've made an outgoing call, and it took me twenty minutes to send a text message yesterday. I didn't want to spend any money, but something had to be done.
This morning, I went to the Vodafone store hoping they could fix my old phone. I was relieved when the man told me it was still under warranty; however, it had to be sent away and could take up to a month to get it back. They didn't have any loner phones to use in the meantime, so my only option was to buy a new one. I picked the cheapest phone available that had all the stuff I needed, and it was still 119 Euro. It's a Nokia 7100 Supernova, and, oh yeah, it's hot pink.

No comments: