Sunday, February 08, 2009

Don't Bring Me Down

I've been thinking a lot lately about my words and actions; specifically, about how I interact with those around me, and their influence over me. I have different circles of friends, and my behaviour is different in each one.
One such circle has a large percentage of negative people. They still make me laugh, and I think they mean well, but they tend to complain a lot and speak ill of others. After several hours of interaction, I feel my own thoughts gravitating toward bitterness and resentment. Last night it got so bad, I feigned illness and went home.
So I'm making a conscious effort to A) hang out a little less with these people, and B) try to be a more positive influence on them when we do hang out. I'm naturally an optimist, so I don't think it will be difficult. I just have to keep in mind who I'm dealing with and remind myself to think happy thoughts. I should probably hug people more, too. Just because.

1 comment:

jaceresa said...

Emotions are very contagious. Good for you for taking the high road and trying to lower the amount of negative energy in the world.