Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Smashing Pumpkins

When I was growing up, we never really made a huge deal out of Halloween. Sure, we'd go trick-or-treating, but we didn't do much decorating or obsess about our costumes too much. Due to my "widow's peak" hair line, my Mom always dressed me up as Dracula. I never really had much say. The only time I really objected was the year "Return of the Jedi" came out and I had my heart set on being an Ewok. Dang, I was a wuss.
Nowadays, people do more decorating for Halloween than for Christmas. Kinda strange. However, back in Kentucky (and I'm sure many other areas of the Bible belt, as well), there's a growing trend to boycott Halloween due to its pagan roots. Instead of Halloween parties, churches hold "Harvest Festivals" where they decorate with pumpkins and give out candy. Come on! We totally know what you're doing, so just give up the charade! The Mormons are all hard-core about Halloween, though. I guess they figure it's the only time where they can play evil.
As for me, I just take it with a grain of salt. Dressing up is fun and candy is great. If I ever have kids, I'll take them out trick-or-treating, but the minute they start to worship Satan or try to sacrifice a parent (especially me), it's all over!

3 comments:

Kerry said...

simone and i made a cute wee pumpkin we bought for 88p. his smile was wonky. but we liked him all the same. your costume was great! I would have screamed.

nicolesy said...

I was just wondering if Kerry could explain the word "wonky" ... so cute, all those quirky British words!

Anonymous said...

Hi!

You can find all lyrics at Digital Lyrics Database!

Lyricsfan