Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Circuitry

One of the reasons I like getting deployed is because when I'm in the desert, all I do is work. I go into "robot" mode. It's grunt labour and it's physically hard, but I don't really have to make any decisions or deal with a lot of red tape. However, it doesn't really help me grow as a person. All the decision making and dealing with people and being a good supervisor to my troops is challenging, but it's definitely more rewarding in the long run.
I used to wonder why God created us knowing we would reject Him, and why He gave us free will. What if He were the only option? Wouldn't it be easier to just be robots?
Since I've lived in Utah, I've become kind of overwhelmed with the Mormon church. You really can't look anywhere without seeing their influence, and, to be honest, it's kind of made me resent everything about it. I sometimes go out of my way to not support businesses owned by the LDS church (which is harder than you'd think). I'm tempted to start arguments with the Mormons with whom I work. But then I realise it's just ridiculous to do that. Regardless, when something is so in your face, it's hard not to develop an aversion to it.
I'm glad I'm not forced to do anything, to make any choices, to believe a certain dogma. I choose to believe in Christ, not because I "inherited" my faith from my parents or just because I grew up in America (an arguably "Christian" nation), but because my faith has gone full circle. I've lived a part of my life ignoring His presence, and I know where that got me. I know what I believe and I know it's right. It's nice not being a robot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Utah and all those Mormons, I don't think I could handle that. Bless your heart there, currt-dawg. You should offer to buy a Mormon a decaffeinated coffee and see what happens.

Trish said...

so I am writing this comment on my new iBook!!! it's so cool....
remember if you find out any interesting mormons factoids please share I am still fascinated by the whole religion.
trish