Saturday, June 28, 2008

This Scene Is Dead

It's early Saturday morning; and I'm awake, but I shouldn't be. Why? Well, let's flashback about twelve hours to when our hero (that's me) arrived at the home of his friend and co-worker, Corey. I picked up him, Johnny, and Stan and we headed to dinner at a place in Aviano called Casa ad Ovest (Western House). Everything was fine until a lady at the next table began having a seizure. The people with her were taking care of her, so there wasn't really anything we could do. Still, we just kinda sat there in silence and hoped it would end quickly. But while this was going on, Corey was watching the television in the corner and totally chowing on his appetisers. The whole restaurant was completely quiet until Corey says, "You guys should try these poppers! They're fucking great!" Johnny, Stan, and I glare at him, but he still has no clue what's going on. He then sees the next table, but still unaware of the situation, belts out, "What are they, prayin'?" The lady was fine, but I'm surprised we weren't asked to leave.
After dinner, we went to a nearby bar where we met up with Joann, who accompanied us to another bar in Pordenone called Uagamamas. (I have no clue what that means.) Our purpose for going there was to see a band featuring a bassist that Joann is kinda dating. We arrived at 11:30, just as the band was starting. We enjoyed their hour-long set of covers, and after that, a DJ came out and began playing hip-hop. The club was getting crowded, so we decided to stick around and dance for a while.
Though I don't remember specifically agreeing to the arrangement, I somehow ended up being the designated driver. This was fine with me, but it was getting pretty late, so to stay awake, I started drinking Red Bulls (at a whopping 5 Euro each!). I was trying really hard to have fun, but the music was so loud, conversation wasn't possible. I was out of my element; I didn't know many people; and I was sober. I really wanted to leave, but I didn't want to spoil anyone else's fun. Finally, around 3 AM, a very drunk Johnny dragged me out on the dance floor, which made things a little more enjoyable. We didn't leave the club until after 4, and after dropping everyone off at their respective homes, I got into bed around 5.
I don't know why I woke up after only 2 1/2 hours of sleep, but I bet it has something to do with all that Red Bull in my system.
On the way home last night, Corey kept promising me next time we go out, someone else will drive. He tried to explain that it's his duty to drink because nobody else ever seems to have fun unless he's drunk, which probably made sense in his very inebriated mindset. I might just be going through a phase, but I think I'm done with the club scene for a while. I haven't been going out (or drinking) very much since I got to Italy, which is a stark contrast to my last two years in Utah. If they ever need a designated driver, I'm happy to help out; but if last night is any indication, my nights of going out to clubs will be few and far between.

No comments: