Monday, June 23, 2008

The Science Of Sleep

Sleep is like some weird drug that everyone needs, but if I overdose just a little bit, it's like I can't get enough. Last weekend, I didn't have much going on, so I was in bed pretty early Friday night, and slept late Saturday morning. I took two naps Saturday afternoon, followed by 9 hours of sleep Saturday night, and another nap Sunday afternoon. Getting up at 5 this morning wasn't easy.
Normally, I'm a 6 1/2-hour-a-night kinda guy. If I get eight hours, I tend to get sleepy in the afternoon, especially if I have a big lunch. My biggest problem is insomnia, which comes and goes unexpectedly. Even if I've had a busy day and had a good workout, I still have trouble sleeping sometimes. I find the best remedy is reading, so I keep a few books beside my bed.
I enjoy sleep, but I kinda wish we were wired to not need it. Even as I'm dozing off, I feel there are so many other things I'd rather be doing. I guess that's why meth appeals to so many people. Sorry, but I think I'll stick with sleep.

No comments: