Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Today My Heart Swings

Last time I saw Interpol, they were promoting "Antics," their brilliant second album. They recently released "Our Love To Admire," which is a little disappointing given how great their first two albums were. I even considered not going to last night's show, but since Pete, Brian, John, and Trevan were going, I went, too. Good thing.
The first of two openers was the Shout Out Louds from Stockholm. They sounded like a happier, Swedish version of The Cure. They were amazingly cute, especially when their lone female came from behind her keyboard/accordian set-up to sing.
The second opener was The Liars, an experimental, psychadelic indie rock outfit from LA. I bought their 2002 album "They Threw Us In A Trench And Stuck A Monument On Top," but it didn't really vibe with me. They were much better live, incorporating lots of tribal beats and strange dancing, but I still don't think I could listen to them in my truck.

Interpol
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
Before Interpol came out, I was wondering how much of their older stuff they'd play. But once they came on stage, it didn't matter any more. They came out, all dressed in black and looking very classy, and played a wonderful set consisting of songs from all three albums. I've always appreciated Paul Banks's voice, but last night, I was particularly impressed with Daniel Kessler's guitar work. He seemed to put so much passion into it.


Interpol
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
Also impressive were the visuals. They mixed a great combination of projections and video screens to create a very dark, ambient mood. It complemented their tunes very well. The audience swayed and sang along, and I was mesmerized the whole time. I thought their last show was great, but this was even better. They've obviously grown in the performance department, and I look forward to seeing them again.

1 comment:

Jim & Nicole Sullivan said...

architecture in helsinki is coming through SLC, i hope to read about it soon!! They are playing at In The Venue...?? they wont be coming thru vegas and im very sad... how far is SLC again?? -nik