Sunday, October 28, 2007

Do the Whirlwind

Is it indie pop? Is it dance rock? Is it twee avante garde? The answer is all of the above, because it's a band called Architecture in Helsinki. Admittedly, I wasn't exactly familiar with this band until a few weeks ago when my friends started talking about their upcoming show. I did a little YouTube research, and decided that this is a band I wouldn't mind seeing. Luckily, my opportunity came last night when Pete, Brian, John, Jonathan, Chris, Taylor, and I went to their show in SLC.
There were two openers, neither of whom I could name because we were hanging out in the bar. Though we did see the first opener doing some strange jazzercise-type dancing during her set.

Architecture in Helsinki
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
Finally, the Australian six-member collective came out, and began playing their super-fun tunes. I liked how every song was unique, with their haphazard energy flowing through the crowd. I was impressed with their varied instrumentation, pairing synthesizers with trombone and bass, and making it sound so full of glee. Equally impressive was how each band member switched between nearly every instrument on stage. They played for just over an hour, but unfortunately, their set was cut short due to equipment issues. Still, it was a very playful show, evidenced by the big smiles on the faces of everyone in the crowd.

No comments: