Saturday, October 27, 2007

Mood Swing

I know Fridays are supposed to be the best day of the work week, but yesterday was very long and very boring; and by the time I got home, I just wanted to lay in bed all night. But I couldn't do that. Sarah Vowell was giving a talk in SLC, and Brian and I had tickets. That gave me the motivation to keep going. But then things started to go downhill.
Brian called and was sick in bed and unable to move. I frantically called around trying to find someone else to take the other ticket, but it was late notice and everyone had plans already. So I figured I'd go by myself and just catch up with everyone afterward. The show started at 8, so I left home at 7:10 to give me plenty of time to drive down, park, and find my seat. Then I got stuck in traffic, which normally isn't bad that late, but there was construction. It took me 40 minutes to drive seven miles. When 8 PM rolled around, I was still on the freeway.
I decided that since I was already in SLC, I might as well see if anyone could incorporate me into their plans. Thank God for Jeff and Trevan. They were at a pumpkin-carving party, and said I'd be more than welcome to join them.

Pumpkins
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
There were tons of people I'd never met, and plenty of pumpkins to carve. At the end of the night, we lined them up and placed candles inside. Here are the finished products.


More Pumpkins
Originally uploaded by currtdawg



Spider Pumpkin
Originally uploaded by currtdawg



Starry Night Pumpkin
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
This girl did Van Gogh's "Starry Night." How creative!


Still More Pumpkins
Originally uploaded by currtdawg



Even More Pumpkins
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
Mine is the one on the right. I obviously free-handed it, and I was going for scary. It's juxtaposed nicely with the smiley one next to it.

There were probably a few too many drunk people with knives, but surprisingly, nobody was injured. There was also a prize grab-bag. People were pulling out cool things like funny glasses and giant glowsticks. I reached down really deep and pulled out.....the Bible on CD (Vol. XXIV, The Gospel of John, Chapters 11-21). There was only one ticket to heaven in the bag, and everyone was jealous that I got it.
I was such a Debbie Downer early in the evening, but everyone's kindness and merriment totally brought me around. It's interesting how our actions and attitudes have such an impact on the people around us. Thanks to Becky for hosting such a great party and Melody for keeping me laughing all night. You guys rock.

No comments: