Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Strained Musicians

Last night was the VMAs. Ryan and I watched the first half, but were so sick of Diddy (One of these days he's going to sample a song in its entirety and release it as his own.) and the tons of trashy outfits (What was Jessica Simpson thinking?), we decided to go to bed. I really hate the way MTV spoon feeds artists it deems worthy to its legions of conformist teenage followers. I mean, how else could Kid Rock have had a number one album? But somehow, I get mesmerised by it all and end up watching anyway.

Here are a few things I liked/disliked about the show:
Green Day's performance was great, and I'm glad they won so many awards. The "American Idiot" album is really good, and, to be honest, I was starting to lose faith in them after so many mediocre albums. I can't wait to see them live next month.
MC Hammer's performance was nothing short of pathetically desperate. It's over, man. It's been over for a long, long time. I'm sorry, but it's true.
Kelly Clarkson. I want to not like her. Really. But I just can't help but sing along to that damn "Since U Been Gone" song. And she seems so sweet. I have to admit, I let loose a little cheer inside when she won those awards. Unfortunately, I didn't stay awake long enough to see her performance, but I'm sure I'll catch it when MTV re-airs the VMAs about 6 billion times in the next month.
I was glad to see Missy Elliott and Alicia Keys win. I've always loved Missy and Alicia has a true gift.
I liked Shakira when she used to just shake her hips a lot, but that thing she does with her boobs is just freakish.
I saw The Killers back in May (seen here) and they sounded great, so I was rather disappointed when they sounded like crap at the VMAs. Fall Out Boy sounded pretty bad, too. Maybe it was the heat in Miami or maybe they were just really nervous.
Mariah Carey. Does anyone really take her seriously anymore?
I wish Gwen would have won a few more awards. And I really would liked to have seen her perform. But wait, I guess I'll get to see that first hand in October. Yay, me!

Anyway, I guess that's about all the commentary I have for now. I know it's sad that I pay so much attention to this silly pop culture, but I just laugh it off as another one of my many guilty pleasures. So sue me.

1 comment:

Homie said...

Shakira does things with her boobs? Guess I'll have to watch the VMA's.
You get to see Gwen live, you suck!! It's ok I seen her when she came out with No Doubt. Who knows, maybe she'll go to Atlanta while I am there.