Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Silly Celluloid

As anyone who's ever seen my DVD collection knows, I prefer films of the more serious, dramatic variety. However, if a comedy makes it into my collection, it's definitely there for a good reason. Here is a list of movies that will never fail to make me laugh:

Airplane!
"Oh, stewardess. I speak jive."

The Big Lebowski
"That rug really tied the room together."

Bowfinger
"We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"

Clueless
"Do you prefer 'fashion victim' or 'ensembly challenged'?"

Dr. Strangelove-or-How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Drop Dead Gorgeous
"Alabama. A-L-A-B-A-M-A."

Election
"I also like bananas."

Groundhog Day
"This is one time where television really fails to capture the true excitement of a large squirrel predicting the weather."

The Opposite of Sex
"This is how we do things on the Planet Maturia. We have much to teach you."

Reality Bites
"Evian is naive spelled backwards."

Sideways
"Are you chewing gum?"

Spaceballs
"Evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

State and Main
"It's not a lie. It's a gift for fiction."

Swingers
"Our little baby's all grows up!"

Waiting for Guffman
"We consider ourselves bi-coastal if you consider the Mississippi River one of the coasts."

Zoolander
"Hansel. He's so hot right now. Hansel."

There are other films I own that could be considered comedies (i.e. Citizen Ruth, Three Kings, anything by Woody Allen, etc.), but they usually have other characteristics outweighing those that tickle my funny bone. Regardless, if any of you have ever shared a laughing-so-hard-you're-out-of-breath moment with me, you'll most likely appreciate these, as well.

No comments: