Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Roller Skating, Whooping Cranes, and Exposed Brassieres

This is the story of Garah and I:
When I was five, my family moved into the house in Morganfield, where we stayed for 21 years. We moved next door to the Gamblins: Bill, Pat, and their daughter, Garah, who was the same age as I. Garah and I developed quite a friendship. We sold lemonade on the roadside. We rode our bikes to the soda fountain downtown. We went to piano lessons together. We hung out so much, strangers often thought we were siblings, since we were so comfortable around each other. Her parents and my parents have also developed a great friendship, so it's almost like we're one big family. (Even now, my parents, my brother, Garah, and Garah's parents all live within 10 minutes of each other in Henderson.)
After graduation, Garah left for the University of Louisville, and I went to Kentucky Wesleyan. After four years at KWC, I joined the Air Force. Garah graduated summa cum laude with a major in chemistry (pre-med) and a music minor, then went on to U of L Medical School. While in medical school, she married Jon Wright, whom we both knew in high school. She took residency at St. Mary's in Evansville, Indiana. While there, she gave birth to a son, Cale, in March of 2001. After that, she joined a family practice clinic in Henderson, Kentucky, then gave birth to a daughter, Isabelle, in November of 2003. Then, on May 20th, 2005, Garah had their third child, Levi.
Yesterday afternoon, I went over to Garah's house to visit. There are few things more precious in this world than holding a newborn baby. They're so light and fragile and it's hard to believe they have little bones and muscles moving around beneath their soft, pink skin. Levi has been diagnosed with Down's Syndrome, but Jon and Garah feel so lucky to have him. About 50% of babies born with Down's have congenital heart failure and tons of other physical problems. Levi has none. His condition just means there was a fluke in his chromosomes and his development may be a little slower. Garah said, "I can't imagine how a family of non-Christians would handle this." It seems like it would be so easy to be angry and bitter and wonder how God could do this to a little baby in a good family, but Garah said she's kinda glad because at least Levi now has a chance.
Congratulations, Jon and Garah! Much love.

No comments: