Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Persistent Posterior


Dad's Bike
Originally uploaded by currtdawg.
My Dad is quite the biker. (Clearly, I got most of my genes from my Mother's side.) He's been riding forever, and has a rather large collection including Harleys, Yamahas, and Nortons (a classic British motorcycle). Do you see now why we have to have all the garage space?
But by far, his favourite bike to ride is his BMW. He's got over 100,000 miles on this one, and that's really rare for a motorcycle. He takes part in endurance rides, affectionately called "iron butt" rides. He's riden over 1,500 miles in 24 hours, and coast-to-coast (Jacksonville, FL to San Diego, CA) in 47 hours. He also goes with a group of veterans called Rolling Thunder every Memorial Day that rides to the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, DC. Plus, there's the weekend trips and other various vacations throughout the year. He rides rain or shine, hot or cold, a true lover of the road. Though I've never gotten my license, I've always loved hopping on the bike with him. When I was a sophomore in high school, we took a trip to visit my aunt in Georgia over spring break. It was about a nine hour drive, and you think it would kinda get old after a bit, but it doesn't. It really makes me want to start riding.

No comments: