Monday, June 20, 2005

Morals vs. Ethics

Everyone knows I've taken a vow never to shop at Wal-Mart ever again. Well, yesterday, I had to reconsider this stance for a moment, and I think I made the wrong decision.
I've never been one to procrastinate, but with the wedding chaos of the past week, I totally forgot to get my Grandfather a Father's Day card. My parents were in the same dilema. So, on the way up to his house yesterday, we stopped to pick up Father's Day cards. However, this being Kentucky and right in the middle of the Bible Belt, the only thing open was Wal-Mart. We walked in and Mom and Dad picked out a card, but I refused and started quoting all these statistics about importing Chinese goods and sexual discrimination and unfair treatment of employees. We got to Grandpa's house and I felt like such a loser. I let my self-righteous, anti-capitalist judgements get in the way of showing my Grandfather how much I love him. Ridiculous. Sure, it's a good thing to have standards, but I guess sometimes you have to compromise to opt for the greater good.

1 comment:

Mariana Braga said...

adorei seu blog cara.. muito bom!
não ao capitalismo!