Saturday, November 08, 2008

Take only what you need from it.

A few nights ago, I was hanging out at Shaun's house with a few people, including Keena, who's just spent the past two months in the States. He brought back a snowboarding DVD called "That's It, That's All." We put it in, and as soon as we saw the beautiful white peaks, our eyes glazed over in anticipation of what we'll be doing all winter.
Snowboarding videos are pretty cool because you get to see all these professional boarders tackling huge slopes and landing crazy jumps. Plus, the scenery is amazing. But perhaps the best thing about them is the music. You can put just about any type of music with snowboarding footage, and it somehow fits. Punk, electronic, hip-hop, ambient, doesn't matter. Often, I'll hear a catchy new tune that would go nicely on my iPod.
On the video the other night, one such song caught my ear, and I couldn't get it out of my head. I did some internet research, and found out it was called "Kids" by MGMT. Their album was only $7.99 on iTunes, and I've been listening to it ever since.
Back in the day, there were songs I would hear on commercials or in movies and then obsess about for weeks. That's the great thing about the internet. Sure, it's good for e-mail, online shopping, and, ahem, other things; but it's probably the most useful tool I have. (Sorry, hammer. You were this close.)

No comments: