Saturday, November 15, 2008

Headbanger's Ball

I'd never really been to a metal show before, so I wasn't sure what to expect, exactly. For all I knew, we'd be in a crowd of people sacrificing virgins and carving things into our chests. Luckily, it wasn't that drastic.
The event was called The Unholy Alliance Tour. The venue, right outside of a metro station in northwestern Milan, was called Palasharp. We got there before the doors opened, so we walked around amongst the Italians, who were all dressed in their denim vests and black t-shirts. I hadn't seen that many pony tails since the last time I was in Kentucky (where they were actual tails...on ponies).
The first band was already playing when we got inside. They were an Italian metal band with eight members. Since they were singing in Italian, I couldn't understand what they were saying; I later learned it didn't matter what language they were singing, I couldn't understand regardless. They only played five or six songs before Amon Amarth came out. They're a Swedish metal band, and between songs, the singer would yell, in his most monstrous voice, "Grazie mille, Milano!" I thought it was kinda funny.
The next band was Mastodon, whose lyrics deal mostly with mythology and folklore. After them was Trivium. They were a much younger band, and Johnny's favourite of the evening. It was the only band for whom we left the stands and went onto the floor.

Slayer
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
Before we went to the show, Johnny gave me a brief history of Slayer and their influence on thrash metal. When they came out on stage, the crowd went crazy. Their set was full of satanic symbols and songs about the devil. It was so over the top, I found it almost humorous.
Johnny and I left before the show was over. We weren't sure when the trains shut down, and we didn't want to get stuck in the crowd. On the way back to our hotel, we discussed the show, and how all the satanic stuff is probably an act, something the band members don't really believe. Regardless, I'm not going to miss Church tomorrow morning.

No comments: